[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezing point

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sat Mar 8 16:14:03 EST 2008

Just a quick comment for Jeff:
On 8 Mar 2008, at 19:48, Jeff Scott wrote:

> I've also tried different advection schemes (besides 2). 33 and
> especially 77 are not usable, as they radically affect the model's
> temperature structure, being rather diffuse. I've also tried the
> Prather/SOM

When you use one of the multidimensional advection schemes (e.g., 33
or 77), make sure that you have "staggerTimeStep=.true.", otherwise
these scheme give very unexpected results during spinup. If you use
staggerTimeStep=.true., then advscheme 2 and 77 (which are both 2nd
order), give similar results in coarse resolution with much smaller
overshoots (according to my experience). As far as I remember, Dror
is using that kind of parameter combination, so his results are
either due to the very small but finite overshoots, that are still
present in 33 or 77, or something completely different.

another comment on numerical diffusivity: Thomas Zweigle has carried
out a nice comparison of numerical diffusivities of the various
schemes in a very high resolution (DNS) simulation. Thomas, maybe you
can share a figure (a small jpeg or png please)?