[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezing point

Jeff Scott jscott at halo.mit.edu
Sat Mar 8 13:48:49 EST 2008

Hi Dror,

I've had this problem (i.e. cold, deep temperatures below the seaice
freezing point), to varying degrees (no pun intended), in several
different global coarse-resolution configurations. Jean-Michel and I have
numerous discussions about it, and we are fairly sure it is simply the
usual suspect: the advective overshoot-undershoot problem. That being
said, it is not easy to come up with a good working solution.

The most recent global configurations I've worked with were 4x4x15 layers,
4x4x22, and 2.5x2x22 (the middle being more of a "test" setup). All were
lat-lon, so I can't say how this would be affected by the cubed sphere
(but I think the problem would still exist). All three configurations have
the problem, but it seems the cold water occurs in only a few places or
even just one place, which differ between setups. In the 4x4x15 and
2.5x2x22, the runs are still "usable" in that the cold water remains
fairly localized. In the 4x4x22, I gave up because the cold water was
occurring near strong flow in the Drake Passage and filling the whole deep
ocean. In the other configurations, the SH was all fine but the problem
was in "overflow" region of the NA, near the bottom of bumpy topography.
In one test I actually tried changing the topography to "fill in" the cold
gridpoint in one of these runs, but the cold point simply moved higher in
the water column, thwarting my efforts. (incidently, using partial cells
makes the problem considerably worse).

I've also tried different advection schemes (besides 2). 33 and especially
77 are not usable, as they radically affect the model's temperature
structure, being rather diffuse. I've also tried the Prather/SOM scheme;
indeed, this pretty much fixes the cold temp problem, but is at high CPU
cost -- and even this scheme is noticeably diffusive. Since my work
involves explicitly trying to minimize overall (numerical and
parameterized) diffusion, I gave up on this solution too.

Jean-Michel and I have discussed some other avenues to perhaps address
this problem, but I haven't had time to pursue it... Thus I've learned to
live with local temps even below -4C.

(I think the scary thing however is that this problem is not limited to
cold water; such advective undershoot/overshoot is occuring in other
places, you just don't notice it so easily. But for example, look to see
if you are getting convection occurring below the surface in the eastern
tropical Pacific - this seems suspect...)

Anyone else have some insight into this problem and/or possible solutions?

Jeff