[MITgcm-support] problem in installing

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Mar 6 10:55:14 EST 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:44:56 +0530 (IST) balajisrinivas at tce.edu wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am amateure to mitgcm. I tried to build the make file. i am
> following the commands given in
> http://mitgcm.org/pelican/online_documents/node92.html.
>
> I am using debian etch. i am getting the error indicating that fortran
> compiler should be installed. Where can the fortran compilers be found
> other than intel(R) ? In intel we have to purchase the software. What
> other softwares are needed for installing mitgcm.

The Gnu compiler collection provides two Fortran compilers:

  + GCC v3.x and older:  g77
  + GCC v4.x and newer:  gfortran

MITgcm works nicely with g77 and mostly works with gfortran if you use
newer (v4.1 or later) versions of it.

By default, debian etch uses the GCC v4.1.1 compiler suite so you should
have no trouble installing the gfortran compiler.  For more info, see:

  http://packages.debian.org/gfortran

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/