[MITgcm-support] grid nesting help

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jun 25 04:46:16 EDT 2008

Maxiaohui,

the code is not set-up to do two-way-nesting. For one-way nesting
(that is you run a coarse resolution experiment and use the solution
fields to drive a high-resolution experiment that is embedded in the
coarse-resolution domain), you need to save the state variables
U,V,T,S (and maybe Eta) in the coarse external model, interpolate
them to the open boundaries of the high-resolution internal model and
use the obcs package. An example of the usage of the obcs package is
in exp4 (and there are others).

Alternatively you can try to use a generalized (quasi-) orthogonal
curvilinear grid with high resolution in the center and lower
resolution towards the edges (so a stretched grid), but I think there
is little experience with this approach (with the MITgcm).

Martin