[MITgcm-support] Obcs problems

Rutkiewicz M.B. mbr1x07 at soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 05:10:21 EDT 2008

Hello!
I am trying to add obcs to my configuration but I am having some problems.
I am running a zonal channel configuration with solid boundaries North and
South. Now I am trying to open the Northern boundary by prescribing a
temperature profile, which I have created with gendata.m.

I added obcs to packages.conf (OBCS_OPTIONS.h being included in my directory
code/) and the compilation was fine, but when I try running the executable,
I get the following error message:

OBCS_CHECK: ERROR: useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE. for
OBCS_CHECK: undef ALLOW_OBCS_PRESCRIBE
ABNORMAL END: S/R OBCS_CHECK

I am not sure what I have done wrong, I switched on define ALLOW_OBCS_NORTH
and define ALLOW_OBCS_PRESCRIBE in OBCS_OPTIONS.h and see my data and
data.obcs files below!

What have I missed?

Cheers,
Maria

data:
# ====================
# | Model parameters |
# ====================
#
# Continuous equation parameters
 &PARM01
#
# gives the reference temperature profile.
#
tRef = 10*2.0,
sRef = 10*34.5,
# horizontal and vertical eddy viscosity
 viscAh=1000.,
 viscAz=1.E-4,
 no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,
 no_slip_bottom=.TRUE.,
# viscA4=0.E12,
# horizontal and vertical eddy diffusivity
 diffKhT=1000.,
 diffKzT=1.E-4,
 f0=-1e-4,
 beta=1.E-11,
 tAlpha=2.4e-4,
 sBeta =7.6e-4,
 gbaro=9.81,
 gravity=9.81,
 rigidLid=.FALSE.,
 implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
 eosType='LINEAR',
 nonHydrostatic=.FALSE.,
 useSingleCpuIO = .TRUE.,
 readBinaryPrec=64,
 &

# Elliptic solver parameters
 &PARM02
 cg2dMaxIters=1000,
 cg2dTargetResidual=1.E-7,
 cg3dMaxIters=40,
 cg3dTargetResidual=1.E-9,
 &

# Time stepping parameters
 &PARM03
 nIter0=0,
 nTimeSteps=8766,
 deltaT=3600.0,
 abEps=0.1,
 tauThetaClimRelax = 2629800.,
 cAdjFreq = 3600.0,

# create a pickup file each day
# pChkpt: *permanent pickup file
 pChkptFreq=31557600.0,
#alternating pickup file: each 1/6th day:
 chkptFreq=0.0,
 dumpFreq=2629800.0,
 monitorFreq=0,
# outputTypesInclusive=.FALSE.,
 &

# Gridding parameters
 &PARM04
 usingCartesianGrid=.TRUE.,
 usingSphericalPolarGrid=.FALSE.,
 delX=30*50000.,
 delY=15*50000.,
 delZ=10*300.,
 &

# Input datasets
 &PARM05
# to specify the initial temperature gradient
  thetaClimFile='mytemp',
  bathyFile='topog.channel',
  zonalWindFile='mywind',
 &

data.obcs:

# Open-boundaries
 &OBCS_PARM01

#specify northern open boundary
 OB_Jnorth=30*-1,
# OB_Jsouth=80*1,
# OB_Ieast=42*-1,
# OB_Iwest=42*1,

#useOrlanskiNorth=.TRUE.,
#useOrlanskiSouth=.TRUE.,
#useOrlanskiEast=.TRUE.,
#useOrlanskiWest=.FALSE.,

 useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
 OBNtFile='myobn_t',

# OBNuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
# OBSuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
# OBWuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
# OBEuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
# OBWsFile = 'OBzonalS.bin',
# OBWptrFile(1) = 'OBzonalS.bin',
 &

# Orlanski parameters
 &OBCS_PARM02
#Cmax=0.45,
#cVelTimeScale=1000.,
 &

--
Miss Maria Rutkiewicz

PhD Student Physical Oceanography
Room 186/07
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
University of Southampton Waterfront Campus
European Way
Southampton SO14 3ZH
United Kingdom

email: mbr1x07 at soton.ac.uk