[MITgcm-support] Velocity cubed sphere + pickup seaice

Elja Huibregtse J.N.Huibregtse at student.TUDelft.NL
Wed Jun 4 14:13:29 EDT 2008

Thank you all for your advice! I changed the CS grid files, and I think that my results will be much more reliable...

I still have a (maybe very trivial) question about obtaining the correct zonal and meridional velocities from the cubed sphere coordinates. Martin, you wrote that I first have to interpolate the velocities and after that I have to rotate the velocities according to the values of angleCosC and angleSinC. I found the definitions of angleCosC and angleSinC:

angleCosC :: cosine of grid orientation angle relative to Geographic direction
                  at cell center: alpha=(Eastward_dir,grid_uVel_dir)=(North_d,vVel_d)
angleSinC :: sinus  of grid orientation angle relative to Geographic direction
                  at cell center: alpha=(Eastward_dir,grid_uVel_dir)=(North_d,vVel_d)

Actually, I do not understand this explanation; is there an image available, explaining the angles?
I think that the velocities are something like:

U_final = U_cs_grid * angleCosC  -  V_cs_grid * angleSinC
V_final = V_cs_grid * angleCosC  +  U_cs_grid * angleSinC

Is this correct?

Elja