[MITgcm-support] ice layer modeling -> cube corners?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Jul 21 12:29:39 EDT 2008

Hi Elja,

topologically "llc" and the cs32 are very similar, but I was careless
in putting in my 5-cents-worth:  In the llc configuration we rotate
the grid so that the "cube" corners are in land. Then the sea-ice
model never sees these corners.

I am afraid that you found a limitation of the current sea ice
dynamics implementation: it does not work with cube-corners. Try
setting Pstar to zero (SEAICE_strength=0) and set SEAICE_deltaTevp =
100. (= your deltaT). This will give a free drift ice model (no
internal ice stresses),  but that may actually work (although there
is no guarantee) and it includes the effect of tidal velocities etc.
(just without internal stress) ... (Also you will use the EVP model
implementation which I don't recommend in general, but here it's hack
to overcome any iteration that involves MPI-exchanges across cube
corners).

Martin