[MITgcm-support] ice layer modeling -> cube corners?

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:42:07 EDT 2008

Elja, the correct overlap in your case is OLx=Oly=8, I think.   You
can test this by gradually increasing the overlap for a very short
problem without optimization, until the pickup files are bit-
identical.  But I don't think that this is what causes trouble at the
corners.  The change in the solution from OLx 5 to 8 will be very small.

The corners of the cube have smaller dimensions than the rest of the
cube so it's easier to violate CFL conditions.  What are your typical
velocities, UVEL, VVEL, WVEL, relative to your grid dimensions, dx,
dy, dz?

In your output file, do:
grep advcfl_ STDOUT.0000

If any of these values gets much larger than 1, then you may have to
decrease your deltaT even further.

But deltaT is already quite small in your case if I remember correctly
so this may not be the problem.

A second possibility is that sea ice model will not work at the
corners.  All the tests that I have run with sea ice model, the ice
never gets close to the corners.  In particular, the metric terms are
ignored in the sea ice dynamics, so close to the corners I have no
idea what will happen.  Also, I don't think that the ice momentum
equations are compatible with corners.

Does anyone else on this list have experience with running the sea ice
model across the cube corners?

One thing that you can do to test above hypothesis is to turn off sea
ice dynamics and see if it helps.

SEAICEuseDYNAMICS  = .FALSE.,

in data.seaice

Dimitris Menemenlis