[MITgcm-support] [uv]stressfiles and runtime error

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sat Jul 12 06:02:09 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,
make a local copy of EXF_OPTIONS.h (in your code directory) and in
this copy you comment the line
#define ALLOW_ATM_WIND
and recompile. The exf-pkg then expects wind stress and computes wind
from wind stress.

You can mimic the default behavior of the model (without exf) by
unsetting (or commenting) all the lines ALLOW_ATM_WIND/TEMP/
DOWNWARD_RADIATION/RUN_OFF. Then you need to provide u/v-stress, net
freshwater  flux and heat flux (the latter can be split into net
shortwave and net long wave, depending on the status of
ALLOW_SHORTWAVE in CPP_OPTIONS.h). This is the first line in the
table in EXF_OPTIONS.h, but not the default behavior of exf. The
default behavior of exf is to require u/v-10m-winds, 2m air
temperature, humidity, and downward radiation (long and shortwave)
and everything else is computed from the large+pond(81,82) bulkformulae.

Martin