[MITgcm-support] ice layer modeling

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:12:30 EDT 2008

Elja, that is so cool!  I never would have imagined that pkg/seaice
could be applied to a 10-km-thick layer of ice!

In your data file, I notice that you have:

useRealFreshWaterFlux=.TRUE.,

This means that you turn on Jean-Michel's sea-ice ocean coupling using
a rescaled vertical coordinate z*:

http://mitgcm.org/~jmc/iceLoading_accept.pdf

In this configuration the sea ice pushes down on the surface of the
ocean as in Fig. 1c of paper above.  I think this answers your second
question.

Regarding your first question, the error that you are getting
typically occurs when these z* levels are squeezed too thin.  For
example, this will happen if the bottom of your ice + tidal loading
gets pushed too close to your shallowest bathymetry.  Starting from a
pickup near your blow-up, set "monitorFreq=1" then "grep _eta_min
STDOUT.0000" to see if your minimum sea surface height gets close to
the bottom of your ocean.

Dimitris Menemenlis
DMenemenlis at gmail.com