[MITgcm-support] Some questions on Smagorinsky and KPP

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jul 8 03:54:15 EDT 2008

Abbas,
the Smagorinsky/Leith viscosities are quite well documented, e.g.
here <http://mitgcm.org/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/
node85.html> and in the code (pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F). I
recommend reading the documentation.
1.+2.:For non-hydrostatic code, the horizontal viscosities of
vertical velocities are also properly computed, but the vertical
viscosities are not part of the scheme (not for any velocity component)
3. yes, you can set diffusivities to zero with temp/saltAdvScheme=33,
(and 77 and 7). These schemes are stable, but you may want to
introduce some extra diffusion for physical reasons.
4. this is trial and error. There are a few recommendations in
mom_calc_visc.F.

Further, there was a long discussion on this list a while ago, which
I recommend to read, it starts here:
<http://forge.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2006-November/
004459.html>
In particular I had a noise problem with smag+kpp, which Baylor
nicely explained here:
<http://forge.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2006-November/
004469.html>
Also when you type
"leith site:http://forge.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/mitgcm-support/"
into google (I think "our" search mask, which is supposed to do
exactly that still does not work) you'll get a lot of discussion
about this topic.

Martin