[MITgcm-support] Volume conservation with OBCS

David Hebert david.hebert.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Thu Jul 3 10:19:52 EDT 2008

Hi James,

Thanks for sharing your orlanski subroutines. For my case it seems a
larger part of the issue was in the initial condition, as Martin
suggested. I ran a new simulations with orlanski outflow boundaries as
before, but initialized my field to the same as my inflow boundary (that
is, U = 0.1m/s, V=0). That made a big improvement, since there was
outflow at boundary at t=0. I saw a 4m SSH increase over 24hrs, vs. 25m
over 5 hrs.

I was hoping that the SSH would be less with orlanski, but a colleague
here noted that my simulation has different bathymetry at each boundary.
In particular, my domain is shallower at the flow exit than entrance,
which reduces x-sec area and would cause a net influx of fluid in my
domain. I was hoping this wouldn't happen with orlanski, but with an
ocean with a free surface there is nothing that forces fluid volume
conservation, hence the SSH rise. I hesitate to run rigid-lid option,
however, because I want to see if there is any detectable surface
disturbance from the submerged mountains.

My next step might be to specify boundaries so there is no net flux of
fluid (again, as Martin suggested before), but put a sponge layer around
the boundaries to ease transition from inner flow to prescribed
condition. Has anyone found a good rule of thumb for sponge layer
relaxation times? I was going to start with a 10 cell layer sponge with
relaxation of 3 timesteps for each layer. Any advice is certainly
appreciated.

Thanks,

David