[MITgcm-support] Volume conservation with OBCS

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jul 1 03:48:54 EDT 2008

Hi David,

not that I am an expert on the Orlanski-BCs in the code, but I don't
think that there is anything in them that ensures exact conservation
of total volume. So before the flow reaches the eastern boundary,
there is probably no outflow (can't you check that from the content
of state.*.nc (dumpFreq > 0. ) or any other diagnostics that you are
using?).

I don't know the size of your domain, but I estimated this: if the
domain is (lx,ly,lz) = (50km,20km,1km), then 5h of inflow of 10cm/s
would give a volume increase of 3.6e10m^3, corresponding to 36m of SL
rise. Probably you did something similar to estimate your expected SL
rise in the case of no outflow.

This is what I would try:
1. sanity check: turn off orlanski, initialize your entire domain
with u=0.1, v=0. and have u_west=0.1 inflow and u_east=0.1 outflow.
Along northern and southern boundaries specify v=0.1; (this is
similar to verification/exp4). With this configuration (if your
topography if constant along the open boundaries), you should not
have any SL-rise.
2. everything (especially the homogeneous initialization) the same as
1. but turn on orlanski in the east, and see what happens.
3. there are flags in the code (see end of obcs_calc), that make the
code balance each of the 4 OB inflows indiviually (that is no net
inflow at each of the OBs). That's not what you want, but you could
modify this code to enforce a global balance, at the cost of breaking
the orlanski "dynamics" along the boundaries.

Martin