[MITgcm-support] netcdf with curvilinear grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jan 31 06:26:15 EST 2008

Hi Ed and others,

sorry to hear that I kept you up so long. That was not my intention.
Hope you are asleep now and others pick up for you (o:

And now I have to tell you, that the problem is not really in the
netcdf files. The problem is that my screwy configuration with a
curvilinear grid does not have "proper" coordinate variables (in
netcdf speak), so that programs like ncview or gluemnc, that use
coordinate variables to display/arrange individual tiles give funny
results.

I would suggest to modify mnc, so that in the case of
"usingCurviLinearGrid=.TRUE." (and without exch2), the coordinate
variables X and Y become simply the grid indices, as it is done for
the cube sphere/llc configurations (which do use exch2). Could you
point me to the places/files where this should be done and I'll try
to do that.

Martin