[MITgcm-support] netcdf with curvilinear grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jan 30 05:46:19 EST 2008

Hi there,

I am using a curvilinear grid much like Dimitris Menemenlis' arctic
configuration. It's based on a rotated grid where the north pole has
been rotated to the equation, etc. I divide my domain into two tile
for two processors:
snx=243
sny=85
nsx=1
nsy=1
npx=1
npy=2
so Nx=243, Ny=170

I have now managed to get the model to read the grid
usingCurvilinearGrid=.true. (BTW, only the OLD_GRID_IO variant works,
with the the tile00?.mitgcm, I run it all sorts of problems, but
that's a different question), and everything seems to run OK. But the
netcdf output is unexpected. The first tile comes out OK, but the
second tile, which should be on top of the first one is flipped, it
basically runs from j=170 at the bottom backwards to j=86 at the top.
Probably as a consequence, Baylor's fantastic script gluemnc does not
work and it puts the two tiles next to each other (so that I get a
domain Nx=2*243,Ny=85).
Matlab's rdmnc on the other hand seems to be doing the right thing
and flips the 2nd tile back to normal.

What's going on?