[MITgcm-support] Production of spurious negative tracer values by GM

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 24 17:42:07 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm doing some tracer release experiments in a low resolution model
using the ptracers package. The initial condition is a strip of
positive tracer on the surface and zero everywhere else. The tracers
are advected by scheme 33 and diffused by a very low diffusion
(1e-7). If I set PTRACERS_useGMRedi(1)=.TRUE., I get rather
significant (>30% RMS tracer value) negative tracer values pretty
quickly (less than a year). If I turn GM off, the negative values are
at the level of single precision numerical noise (see attached
figure). I'm using the plain vanilla skew flux GM scheme with all the
default values.

My understanding is that the skew flux GM is mathematically
equivalent to advection by a non-divergent bolus velocity---which
shouldn't be able to produce negative values from positive data---and
that the skew flux form is preferred because it is numerically more
accurate. In the present case, however, the skew flux form seems to
be significantly in error.

I'll run a test using the advective form of GM, but until then, does
anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Christopher