[MITgcm-support] SpF_test_cube_cap

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jan 11 14:01:15 EST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:38:52 -0800 (PST) Riema Rachmayani wrote:

> I'm trying to run test case in SPGrid just like wrote in 7.5.1.4
> Running SPGrid
>
> cd spgrid-0.9.4/src
>
> make SpF_test_cube_cap
>
> mkdir SpF_test_cube_cap
>
> ./SpF_test_cube_cap

Hi Riema,

I've been quite busy the past few days so please pardon the slow
response!

I'm glad to hear that you were able to build and run at least parts of
SPGrid.  Good!

So what is failing?  Its difficult to tell from your email messages
since it seems that parts of the message are not getting through.  Is
there any chance you could send regular ASCII (that is, not html-
formatted) emails in the future?

> and then I have message :

[ ...message was not view-able in my email client... ]

> And when I checked directory of SpF_test_cube_cap.d, there
> is only std_topology.nc. There should
> be grid_*.mitgrid, grid_*.nc and std_topology.nc. Any example matlab
> script to open .nc files??

> What is that mean by number of facets gridded 5 [corrects=9] ??
> And why n is always zero number??

> Is there still contains an error??? What should I do??

SPGrid is written in a combination of C++ and MatLAB.  The MatLAB parts
of the code perform the actual gridding of the individual logically
rectangular regions and the C++ parts of the code keep track of the
region connectivity, the boundary conditions, etc.  The C++ code
creates the input files for the MatLAB script and calls the MatLAB
program (using a C "system(...)" call) to execute them.

I suspect that you have one or more problems related to matlab such as:

  1) Perhaps the "matlab" executable is not in your PATH?

  2) Perhaps "matlab" is in your path but is missing one or more of
     the necessary matlab scripts?

  3) Perhaps you do not have a copy of the matlab netcdf toolbox
     or its not in your matlab-path?  You can get a copy of the
     matlab netcdf toolbox at:

       http://mitgcm.org/eh3/matlab_netcdf/

     and a copy of the matlab "wrapper script" that I use to
     set the matlab path at:

       http://mitgcm.org/eh3/matlab_netcdf/matlab

I hope the above helps.  The problems you're seeing are consistent with
a failure of the C++ code to invoke matlab and get the matlab results.
Please take a look into the output in the files:

  SpF_test_cube_cap.d/mat_out_*

and it should give you some idea whats going on.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/