[MITgcm-support] regarding SSH cost

Suneet Dwivedi suneetdwivedi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:58:53 EST 2008

Hi Patrick,

I am trying to build and run the adjoint assimilation experiment for
the southern ocean. The problem is that the SSH cost is not
contributing to the total cost (for optimization and minimization)
from different variables. Same is the case with Temperature and
Salinity costs though the model is able to compute the individual
costs from other variables like SST, aqh, uvwind, atemp, precip and
swflux and the total cost is nicely decreasing by an order of 4-5 in
just 20 steps.

I am using Jason1 and ERS2 daily data for SSH and levitus94 monthly
data for temp and sal in data.ecco file and set corresponding
multipliers e.g. mult_h,mult_tp, mult_ers, mult_temp and mult_salt
equal to 1.

The only thing that I am not using for now are corresponding error
files for temp, sal and SSH because rightnow I don't have any idea
about how these data files are prepared. Is this making difference??
Also I don't know the relavance and prepation technique for mean SSH
file (topexmeanfile) so i have not included it as well in my data.ecco
file.

May I request you to please suggest me what may be the problem with
the model set up? Whether this problem is related to bad data supplied
/ there is some other error? Also can you please inform me about how
the *_errfile are generated?

Eagerly waiting for your response,

With best regards,

Suneet