[MITgcm-support] enable mnc-output

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Feb 14 10:45:37 EST 2008

Hi Renske,

you don't have to change anything in the code (I recommend that you
revert the change you made to packages_boot.F, that routine just
initializes the usePKG variables), you can enable the mn-pkg by
settting useMnc = .true., at runtime in data.pkg. At compile time the
mnc-package is included by putting it into packages.conf in the
"code" directory, verification/global_ocean.90x40x15/code, for example.

Youf problem is that the model does not find the netcdf libraries/
include files at compile time.
First make sure you have a netcdf library that is compatible with
your fortran compiler (e.g., the netcdf libraries I compiled for SUN
Fortran do not work with g77, etc). Then create/edit your personal
build options file. There are a bunch of example in tools/
build_options. In this file you'll have to set the INCLUDES variable
to point to you netcdf header file and the LIBS variable to point to
your netcdf libraries. Then rerun genmake2 with specifying your opt
fiile (via -of myoptfile) an see if this problem goes away. if not,
then you'll have to correct your configuration in the optfile.

Martin