[MITgcm-support] Non-hydrostatic Orlanski pickup and W velocity

David Hebert hebert at nrlssc.navy.mil
Fri Feb 1 16:13:04 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am using the non-hydrostatic version of the MITgcm with lateral
boundaries. I have been looking through the code and have several
questions about picking up a simulation:

1) It looks like the pickup routine reads phi_nh and gWNm1, then
calculates the vertical velocity rather than storing W in the
pickup*.dat file. Is this true?

2) When picking up my simulation, W is zero at the orlanski boundaries.
However, before the simulation was checkpointed the values were not
zero.  Is this a result of the simulation not storing the W value at
that time?

3)I also noticed that in the file MITgcm/pkg/obcs/orlanski_checkpoint.F,
Orlanksi pickup files should be written if the compile flags
ALLOW_ORLANSKI, ALLOW_OBCS_* and ALLOW_MDSIO are set. These flags are
set in OBCS_OPTIONS.h and PACKAGES_CONFIG.h, however, no
pickup.orlanski* files are written. I only have a pickup*.data and
pickup*.meta file. This would suggest that orlanski_checkpoint.F is not
being called. Is this the case? If so, this would suggest that the
boundary wave speed (cVel) would be zero at pickup.

Thanks for any help,

David