[MITgcm-support] heat flux at bottom

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Mon Aug 18 11:01:16 EDT 2008

Hi Hilla,

I don't see a bottom heat flux in the present code (but this
has been used for geothermal heating, probably in a customized
version). It means you will have to modify the code.

To add a bottom heat flux, I would probably use "mypackage"
and modify/add things there:
For instance, you can change SUBROUTINE MYPACKAGE_TENDENCY_APPLY_T
(in mypackage_tendency_apply.F), to something like
  IF ( k.EQ.kLowC(i,j,bi,bj) THEN
   gT(i,j,k,bi,bj) = gT(i,j,k,bi,bj)
                   + bottomHeatFlux(i,j,bi,bj)*recip_Cp*mass2rUnit
                    *recip_drF(k)*recip_hFacC(i,j,k,bi,bj)
                    *recip_rA(i,j,bi,bj)
  ENDIF
where the IF is just testing if this level is the bottom level.
And you could even store bottomHeatFlux into one of myPacakge 2-D
array (e.g., myPa_Surf1).

Jean-Michel