[MITgcm-support] calculate zonal mean winds in cube-sphere grid

David Ferreira dfer at mit.edu
Mon Apr 14 19:10:30 EDT 2008

Yuan Lian wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. I have one more problem needs to be solved.
> I am trying to calculate the zonal mean of UVtave data in cube-sphere. I am
> not sure how to do this since UV values are at the corners of the C-grid
> cell.

Hi Yuan,
I think you can get outputs of UV at the center of the cells
with the package diagnostics. However, if I remember correctly
this is not enough to compute the zonal mean of UV. The best is
probably to look at a subroutine written by Andrea Molod to
compute U'V' (which maybe where you are going). It is in
MITgcm/utils/matlab/cs_grid/calc2ndmom.m
Cheers,
david