[MITgcm-support] cell size variation

Patrick Rosendahl Patrick.Rosendahl at zmaw.de
Wed Apr 9 04:34:08 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I get unstable results with the following configuration in free-surface
and non-hydrostatic mode:

delZ=1*0.03,100*0.005,

The depth is 0.5m, divided into a 3cm upper layer (that will contain the
free surface), and the rest is divided into 5mm layers.

In the mail "Re: [MITgcm-support] z coordinate" from Baylor Fox-Kemper:
 >Hi Rima,
 >  The MITgcm is not accurate when you change the delZ so rapidly.  You
 >are much better off using the 20 levels, if you can afford to run it
 >that way.  If not, you can make a few levels of delz=30m, then
 >gradually increase until you reach bottom.  The grid size shouldn't
 >increase too rapidly from level to level, approximately 20% at most.
 >This will be even more important in nonhydrostatic mode.
 >   -Baylor

Is there a guide for the cell thickness? Is 20% really necessary?

Best,
Patrick