[MITgcm-support] balancing the heat equation

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:22:46 EDT 2007

Hi,

the full answer (with David's message) was:

> Hi,
>
> Just for this precision:
> > Or are there some hidden diagnostics not written to this file ?
> > david
> All the diagnostics which are available in this configuration
> are listed, no exception.
>
> Jean-Michel
>
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 09:38:04AM -0400, David Ferreira wrote:
> > Hi,
> > If you turn on the diagnostics package, and run a couple of
> > of time steps, the model should spit out a file called
> > "available_diagnostics.log" which, I think, has the list of all
> > available dignostics for your particular configuration.
> > Or are there some hidden diagnostics not written to this file ?
> > david

and "configuration" means what is compiled, i.e. what
packages are listed in "packages.conf" (".conf" for configuration).
And the list of available dianostics is indeed dependent on
the configuration, which was (I thought) clearly expressed by
David when he refers to "your particular configuration".

Regarding the variable Index:
http://mitgcm.org/pelican/code_reference/variabledictionary.html
it was accurate for the release r.1 code,
and (unfortunatly) might not be anylonger; this is one of the reasons
why we recommanded to look at "available_diagnostics.log" file.

And finally, some diagnostics are missing (I think) even in the
latest document, from the list:
http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node255.html
(e.g., TOTTTEND, TOTSTEND,  TOTUTEND, TOTVTEND, RCENTER)
and this list will need an update.
But again, the available_diagnostics.log file does not suffer from
delay in keeping the documentation up to date.

Jean-Michel