[MITgcm-support] advection scheme

Julie Deshayes jdeshayes at whoi.edu
Wed Sep 5 16:46:37 EDT 2007

Hi Dimitris and other MITgcm users,

Following your advice, I tried using tempAdvScheme=7. At the first time
step of calculation, I obtained the following error message :

STOP GAD_ADVECTION: adv. scheme incompatibale with multi-dim statement
executed

when adding "multiDimAdvection=.FALSE.," in my data file, I then have
the following error message (always at first time step of the calculation) :

STOP GAD_CALC_RHS: Bad advectionScheme (X) statement executed

There seem to be an incompatibility in my configuration which impedes me
from using tempAdvScheme=7. Do you have an idea which it may be ? at the
end of this email is my full data file, data.pkg and packages.conf files.

thanks for your help
Julie

Dimitris Menemenlis wrote:
> Julie, you can also try Alistai's OS7MP scheme:
> tempAdvScheme=7,
> saltAdvScheme=7,
> It is much less diffusive than 33.
>
> D.

************************** data file
# Model parameters
#
# Continuous equation parameters
  &PARM01
  readBinaryPrec=64,
  useSingleCpuIO=.TRUE.,
  tRef=  5.35, 5.20, 5.05, 4.9, 4.75, 4.6, 4.45, 4.3, 4.15, 4.0,
  sRef=10*10.,
  rigidLid=.FALSE.,
  implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
  hFacMin=0.2,
  no_slip_sides=.TRUE.,
  no_slip_bottom=.TRUE.,
  bottomDragLinear=1.e-6,
  eosType='LINEAR',
  tAlpha=2.E-4,
  sBeta =0.,
  saltStepping=.FALSE.,
  tempAdvScheme=7,
  saltAdvScheme=7,
  multiDimAdvection=.FALSE.,
  diffKhT=0.,
  diffK4T=1.E10,
  diffKzT=1.E-5,
  f0=1.0e-4,
  beta=0.E-11,
# useCDscheme=.FALSE.,
  useNHMTerms=.FALSE.,
  implicitDiffusion=.TRUE.,
  ivdc_kappa=1000.0,
  viscAz=2.E-4,
  viscAh=100.,
  &
#
# Elliptic solver parameters
  &PARM02
  cg2dMaxIters=300,
  cg2dTargetResidual=1.E-8,
  &
#
# Time stepping parameters
  &PARM03
startTime=622080000.,
  endTime=653184000.,,
  deltaT=900.0,
  abEps=0.1,
  pChkptFreq=0.0,
  chkptFreq=311040000.,
  dumpFreq=311040000.,
# taveFreq=86400.,
  cAdjFreq=0,
  &
#
# Gridding parameters
  &PARM04
  usingCartesianGrid=.TRUE.,
  usingSphericalPolarGrid=.FALSE.,
  dXspacing=10.e+3,
  dYspacing=10.e+3,
  delZ=10*100.,
  &
#
# topography, bathymetry and initial fields
  &PARM05
  bathyFile='topog_10km_obcs.bin',
  hydrogThetaFile='',
  hydrogSaltFile=,