[MITgcm-support] balancing the heat equation

Allison Byrd byrd at ocean.fsu.edu
Tue Sep 4 15:19:10 EDT 2007

Hello mitcgm-ers!!

I am trying to solve the heat equation
dVT/dt+uTx+vTy+wTz=KTxx+KTyy+KTzz
with the goal being the left and right hand side equaling each other
to machine precision.  We have a large imbalance between the two sides
and are lost to the small detail we are missing.

for the left hand side we use gTnm1 for dT/dt, and then take the
forward difference of T to solve for uTx,vTy, and wTz.  For the right
hand side we use Khorizontal=500 m2/sec. and Kvertical =
KPPdiffKzT+2*10^-4m2/sec.  Perhaps we are misusing the KPP schemes?
Has anyone ever done this before?? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Allison Byrd
FSU Dept of Oceanography
Physical Oceanography