[MITgcm-support] Porting MITgcm to Solaris x64

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu May 31 11:56:31 EDT 2007

Hi Bill,
On 31 May 2007, at 17:50, Patrick Heimbach wrote:

> There are differences between my output.txt and results/output.txt.
> Some of these appear to be formatting differences between versions
> checkpoint57c_pre and checkpoint58.

You cannot expect exact correspondence if you run on a platform with
a compiler that is different from the one that produced the
output.txt files. See http://mitgcm.org/testing.html for a few examples.

> I am getting a new message to the screen:
>
> STOP: NORMAL END
>  Note: IEEE floating-point exception flags raised:
>     Inexact;  Invalid Operation;

I get this message on Solaris as well, and tried to trace it down. I
failed because the Solaris compilers allow floating point traps to
stop the code for debugging, they choke on a few tricks that the
MITgcm does, so I never got anywhere. These messages may be related
to some things that happen in the overlaps and do not have any effect
on the solution.