[MITgcm-support] Buoyancy anomaly

Yi HanSoo yi.hansoo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 07:03:23 EDT 2007

Hi MITgcm users

>From the results of my model run, I have a question on how to interpret the
buoyancy anomaly.
In the modeing, I used linear equation of state and set the salinity to
zero.
So the density is only function of temperature here.
And I got the hourly averaged "Rhoanoma (=rho-rhoConst(=999.8 kg/m^3 in my
run))" from the diagnostic pkg.
As attached, they are time-depth plot of temperature profile and buoyancy
anomaly at certain point in the domain
and I just don't understand the density profile from this figure.
Denser water lay over the less denser water and doesn't sink down as time
evolves, weird right ?.
Can anyone give me an idea on how to interpret this result and Is there
something that I have to mind in the modeling?

Thanks in advance.

Lee
--
Lee HanSoo

Ph.D student
Research Center for Fluvial and Coastal Disasters,
Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University,
Gokasho, Uji-si, Kyoto, Japan
611-0011