[MITgcm-support] linear growth of runoff

Dmitri Leonov dleonov at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 12 21:47:58 EDT 2007

Hello Patrick,

Please let me know what exactly it was that you found wrong in my input
files. I've tried setting the runoffperiod to zero as you suggested but
the runoff still seems to be growing linearly - so the problem is not in
the time-interpolation but somewhere else. This is not architecture or
compiler specific as I originally thought it might be: just got same
results on a linux pc using g77.

Maybe I'm not allowed to have closed boundaries when I have a non-zero
E-P-R, so it's not a good test? What do you mean by balancing E-P-R
fields? In the actual experiment I have an open boundary.

If there is in fact some kind of bug there I thought some people other
than myself might be interested in looking into it. Otherwise I'll need
to find out what exactly was wrong with my set-up.

Regards,
Dmitri.

> No, you got that wrong.
> Time interpolation of runoff is working properly,
> assuming you've set values in data.exf correctly.
>
>> 2) it gets interpolation period wrong so the slope depends on the
>> timestep (as if the period is specified in timesteps rather than in
>> seconds).
>
> Are your E-P-R fields balanced overall?
>
> -Patrick
>

>> Jean-Michel Campin wrote:
>>> Hi Dimitri,
>>>
>>> I forgot the important thing,
>>> apparently, in your set-up, EXF produces a linear increase with time
>>> in run-off, but I don't know precisely what would need to be changed
>>> in data.exf & data.exf_clim to get a constant run-off. May be
>>> someone else will know.
>>>
>>> Jean-Michel

Dmitri A. Leonov
Research Associate, Postdoctoral
University of Washington, School of Oceanography