[MITgcm-support] dual core Opteron

Michael A. Spall mspall at whoi.edu
Tue Mar 6 09:37:57 EST 2007

I am currently running MITgcm on a Microway cluster with
Opteron 248s (2.2 GHz, 1MB Cache, 2Gb RAM).  I am thinking
of adding some nodes using dual core Opteron.  Does anyone have
any experience on the scaling of MITgcm from single core to dual
core processors?  I have only Gigabit ethernet.  I tend to use only
4 processors / job and run several jobs at once since it does not
scale very well beyond 4 processors due the the Gigabit ethernet
limitation.

Be gentle with me, I don't know what I'm doing!

Mike

Michael A. Spall
Department of Physical Oceanography
W.H.O.I. MS #21