[MITgcm-support] SPgrid

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jul 25 09:46:02 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:00:07 -0700 (PDT) Riema Rachmayani wrote:

> did you create your curvilinear models utilize SPgrid in MITgcm under
> Fedora Core Linux (version 4 or 5) just like in MITgcm manual
> (chapter 7.5 Grid Generation)??
>
> any other method to create curvilinear in MITgcm??

Hi Riema,

The SPgrid code is separate from MITgcm but was written expressly to
create grids for MITgcm.  There are other tools that you can use to
create logically rectangular curvilinear orthogonal grids.  The only
ones that I know about that work with MITgcm are:

 + lat-long grids are easy to generate, are logically rectangular
   and curvilinear orthogonal and they can be arbitrarily rotated
 + some folks have programs that use the method of Rancic &
   Purser to generate cube-sphere grids.

And there may be other programs out there -- perhaps someone else can
make suggestions?

You can get SPgrid from the MITgcm CVS repository at:

  http://mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/development/edhill/spgrid/

To build and run SPgrid you need the following installed:

  + a C++ compiler such as g++ v4.x
  + Boost : C++ library available at:
      http://boost.org/
  + Wild Magic v3 : a C++ library available at:
      http://geometrictools.com/
  + MatLAB  (a run-time dependency)

On a recent Fedora system, you can get Boost with (as root):

  yum install boost-devel boost-doc boost

you can get Wild Magic v3 RPMs at:

  http://mitgcm.org/eh3/fedora_misc/

or you can build it from source and install it yourself.  And you'll
have to either buy MatLAB or try to use Octave as a substitute for
some of the run-time processing.

I am extremely busy right now but I will have some vacation time in a
few weeks and, during that time, I'll be happy to do one or more of the
following:

 + write some better SPgrid docs and provide more examples
 + upgrade SPgrid so that it uses the latest Wild Magic v4
 + meet with folks and answer questions--if its in the Boston area

All of the examples shown in the paper (and, in fact, everything I've
done with SPgrid) is available as sets of programs and scripts within
the CVS repository.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/