[MITgcm-support] Reading a binary vector

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Wed Jul 18 13:34:26 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I need to read a binary vector into the GCM (vertical structure
function for an internal wave).

The file is written in matlab as

fid=fopen('HorStruct.bin','w',ieee);
fwrite(fid,pmode,prec);
fclose(fid)

... where pmode is Nr long, and
pmode(1)=3.2553

Right now I am trying with MDSREADVECTOR....

       _RL horStructWst(Nr)

       CALL MDSREADVECTOR('HorStruct.bin',readBinaryPrec,'RS',
      &      Nr,horStructWst,1,1,1,myThid)

       WRITE(msgBuf,'(A34,1PE24.14)') 'BOOO =',horStructWst(1)
         CALL PRINT_MESSAGE(msgBuf,standardMessageUnit,SQUEEZE_RIGHT,1)

But this comes out with numbers that are gibberish.
(PID.TID 0000.0001)         BOOO =   3.51126016402432+283

Any hints as to what I am doing wrong, or a recipe for how to do this
simply?

As a bonus, it would be nice to know the proper place to insert this
so that it is read once and saved as a global.

Thanks,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/