[MITgcm-support] isotropic_cos_scaling and gmredi

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sun Jan 14 04:25:01 EST 2007

Hi Jean-Michel,

thanks for the clarification. I agree with your explanation for
coarse resolution models  (although there is a little doubt left in
the back of my head, but I'll ignore it for now), which is what I
need right now.

For eddy-resolving/permitting runs, the story may be different: You
resolve the eddy, and thus don't need GM, but with a lot of small
eddies there's going to be a lot of local diapycnal mixing on the
small scale, if the mixing tensor is oriented horizontally, and we
may use some sort of rotated tensor for that case, too. I don't know
if anybody has ever looked into that issue.

Martin