[MITgcm-support] NCEP data

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sun Feb 11 04:14:53 EST 2007

Amitabh,

I think I remember, that I told you already that you find the stuff here
http://ingrid.ldeo.columbia.edu
but that I cannot remember where exactly. You'll have to look for
yourself. Maybe this is a starting point, but I could not find the
data set that I downloaded: http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/
SOURCES/.NOAA/
Ask their support for an (old) ncep climatology (monthly means of
surface fields and ocean-atmosphere fluxes), they helped me once.
Maybe this information from one of the header files will help them
locate the data set:

> ncdump -h ncep_taux_monthly.cdf
> netcdf ncep_taux_monthly {
> dimensions:
>         T = 12 ;
>         X = 192 ;
>         Y = 94 ;
> variables:
>         float T(T) ;
>                 T:gridtype = 1 ;
>                 T:units = "months since 01-Jan" ;
>         float X(X) ;
>                 X:gridtype = 1 ;
>                 X:units = "degree_east" ;
>         float Y(Y) ;
>                 Y:gridtype = 0 ;
>                 Y:units = "degree_north" ;
>         float taux(T, Y, X) ;
>                 taux:gribleveltype = 1 ;
>                 taux:PTVersion = 2 ;
>                 taux:long_name = "Zonal momentum flux" ;
>                 taux:gribparam = 124 ;
>                 taux:calendar = "standard" ;
>                 taux:PDS_TimeRange = 113 ;
>                 taux:grib_name = "UFLX" ;
>                 taux:center = "US Weather Service - National Met.
> Center" ;
>                 taux:subcenter = "NCEP Ensemble Products" ;
>                 taux:units = "Pa" ;
>                 taux:process = "62 wave triangular, 28 layer
> Spectral model from
> \"Medium Range Forecast\" run" ;
>                 taux:Compression.compressiontype = "null" ;
>                 taux:history = "Averaged over T2[1949, 2001]" ;
> }

Good luck and please don't expect me to answer to this question again.

Martin