[MITgcm-support] Internal wave

Abbas Dorostkar abbas.dorostkar at ce.queensu.ca
Fri Aug 17 12:20:30 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I am going to set up the MITgcm for Cayuga Lake, NY. I have run internal wave test case but I would like to clarify following questions for myself.
1) The nonhydrostatic flag is false and model is using semi-implicit solver (Am I right?). I am guessing in internal wave on slope, nonhydrostatic process could be more important especially in small scale (like lab scale)? Have anybody testes this model for smaller cases?
2) I saw a flag "implicitIntGravWave" (default=false) in the list of parameters but I could not find any documentation. Can I use it in internal wave test case? If yes, Should I use in conjunction with nonhydrostatic= ‘True’?
3) I wonder how we can define boundary condition on the slope in this case. Is it the same as bottom boundary condition?
4) I am not sure which kind of OB is used in this test as it is not defined in data.obcs file but by seeing obcs_calc.F , I guess Orlanski?
5) Instead of open boundary forcing, could I use a close boundary with a two layer prescribed density profile?
6) In packages.conf of this test, there is a gfd package. What does it do? I could not find this package in pkg folder of MItgcm.

Thank you in advance,

Abbas