[MITgcm-support] Offline Model Help

Stephanie Dutkiewicz stephd at ocean.mit.edu
Wed Aug 15 17:31:03 EDT 2007

Ryan -

the offline pkg does a linear interpolation between
fields. (This is same procedure as is done for the
forcing fields in the online model).
(if you are curious see offline_fields_load.F)

you don't need to rename your fields. there is a
seperate "deltaToffline" which will keep track of
when (and what timestamp to look for) to read the
fields. From your error message I'm guessing that
your deltaToffline isn't correct.

Here is an example from verification/tutorial_cfc_offline/input/data.off

  &OFFLINE_PARM02
   offlineIter0=4248000,
   deltaToffline=43200.,
   offlineForcingPeriod=2592000.,
   offlineForcingCycle=31104000.,
  &

offlineIter0 is the number of the first file to read.
deltaToffline is the timestep of the original online run
    used to create the fields.
I think what you've done for offlineForcingPeriod, offlineForcingCycle
should work okay.

Note though, that the first timestep of the offline run will
read in the last and first file of your online fields - and
interpolate between them to give the fields used.

Hmmm - complicated to explain - come see me if this
doesn't make much sense!

stephanie