[MITgcm-support] density of water vapor in atmospheric model

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Thu Aug 2 12:12:51 EDT 2007

Hi Yuan,

What we currently use for atmospheric simulation is
(MITgcm/model/src/calc_phi_hyd.F , lines 343-350):
> C--     virtual potential temperature anomaly (including water vapour effect)
>         DO j=jMin,jMax
>          DO i=iMin,iMax
>           alphaRho(i,j)=maskC(i,j,k,bi,bj)
>      &             *( tFld(i,j,k,bi,bj)*(sFld(i,j,k,bi,bj)*atm_Rq+one)
>      &               -tRef(k) )
>          ENDDO
>         ENDDO
which accounts for water-vapor (sFld) effects on specific volume
when we compute the geopotential.
(see, e.g, http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/,
 section 1.4.1.2, equations 1.60 & 1.63)
with theta' = ( theta*(q*atm_Rq+1)-theta_ref ).

The default value of atm_Rq is zero, and depending on the physics pkg
and units of q, we currently use:
atm_Rq=0.6078E-3, (MITgcm/verification/aim.5l_cs/input/data, q in g/kg)
or
atm_Rq=0.6078, (verification/fizhi-cs-32x32x40/input/data, q in kg/kg)

This may not be exactly what you need (other type of gas than air),
but might be helpfull (I hope).

Jean-Michel