[MITgcm-support] Buoyancy anomaly

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sat Apr 14 11:27:35 EDT 2007

Hi Jody,

I guess I was suggesting that the appropriate diagnostics to look at
stability is DRHODR, rather than diagnosing the density anomaly and
infering drho/dr from that. As far as i know it's (the code version
of) DRHODR that is relevant to vertical acceleration/mixing. The
vertical gradient of the anomaly is tricky because it also depends on
the reference stratification tRef/sRef.

I think you are right and I have confused one with the other in my
previous comment.
and I was under the impresstion that Lee was plotting the density
anomaly (not the gradient).

Martin