[MITgcm-support] MITgcm flt package

Jordan Dawe jdawe at eos.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 4 15:19:38 EDT 2007

Ok, let's try this again...

I am trying to get the MITgcm flt package to work in a multiprocessor
MPI setup.  I have had success running the flt package on a single
processor without MPI, and on MPI multiprocessors if flt is turned off,
but both of them together causes the model to run but not do anything;
CPU usage shows 0% on all CPUs.  The model does not halt or output any
error messages when this occurs.

I am running with the MNC package turned on as well for output; however,
I am initializing everything from binary files.  On the successful
single-processor runs, flt has output a binary file.  Turning off the
MNC package does not alleviate the problem.

I have found this bug on a 32-processor AMD Opteron cluster and running
a 2 process MPI run on a single-processor Athlon.  The bug occurs with
both gfortran and pgf90.

I know very little about MPI coding, and even less about how MITgcm
wraps its MPI calls.  I have spent a while trying to debug this problem,
but I have had no success.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jordan