[MITgcm-support] question...

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Sep 29 02:48:09 EDT 2006

Dear Rima,

this check doesn't have anything to do with Tref or Sref.
S/R (=subroutine) config_check.F tests the consistency of a few
things. In this case the message is quite clear, isn't it:
"nonhydrostatic  NOT SAFE with non fully implicit barotopic solver".

As far as I can see, this message is related to these lines in data:
implicSurfPress=0.5,
implicDiv2DFlow=0.5,
which make the solver semi-implicit (I am guessing, I have never used
these flags myself), they make the model use a Crank-Nickelson time
stepping scheme (according to model/inc/PARAMS.h, where most
parameters are briefly described).

You have two options:
1. comment out these lines to go back to full implicit solver (which
i would do, maybe someone can comment on WHY the solver is not fully
implicit in this experiment)
2. Ignore the warning and comment out the corresponding STOP
statement in model/src/check_config.F (as suggested in the second
line of the warning, but it's probably not safe.)

Martin, Germany

PS. there is also a flag "implicitIntGravWave" (default=false), which
you may want to try in conjunction with internal gravity wave .