[MITgcm-support] OBC problem: spurious boundary jets with C-D coupling

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Sep 27 04:03:22 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

the CD scheme does not work with OBCS. I am sorry that you had to
find this out the hard way. I don't even think that this is
documented anywhere, except for some email in the support-archives.
Prescribing values for the D-grid velocities along open boundaries is
simply not implemented although it should not be so difficult: in
obcs_apply_uv.F one could easily set the uVelD and vVelD to
appropriate values, that may already be enough. One would have to
sort out how to average/extrapolate consistently.

For some reason, the CD-scheme is not seem to be very popular any
more (although it does effectively reduce grid scale noise and I use
it myself). One of the reasons may be that the couple constant tauCD
is a tunable parameter whose value is not pre-determined. If
tauCD=deltaT(mom), then the CD-scheme does not have any effect (then
rCD = 1-deltaTmom/tauCD = 0 and uVelD=uVel, see pkg/cd_code/
cd_code_scheme.F and model/src/ini_parms.F). tauCD should be
something larger than deltaT(mom), the large tauCD, the stronger the
coupling between C and D grid velocities and the smoother and less
energetic are the results.

What can you do to reduce the grid scale noise: viscosity, in
particular bi-harmonic viscosity, and use StaggerTimeStep=.true.
(that was suggested to me once, but I haven't really seen it to have
too much effect). Maybe Jean-Michel has a better suggestion?

For the linear free surface the boundary values for eta are always
zero. If you want to change that, you'll have to use the nonlinear
free surface (turn on by enabling the flag in CPP_OPTIONS.h and
setting some parameters in data, see e.g., global_ocean.cs32x15), but
that means also prescribing the free surface along the boundaries.

Martin
PS. Maybe I'll have a look at CD-scheme+OBCS in the future, as it
bugs me, too. Unless there is a principle problem that I have
overlooked, it shouldn't be too difficult. (but feel free to try it
out yourself and contribute your code  (o:)