[MITgcm-support] north-south or south-north gridding?

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 21 11:37:05 EDT 2006

Dear MITgcmers (especially Jill, Martin and Dimitris)

Beware the pseudo-vector!

While true vector operations, e.g., grad, div, addition, scalar
multiplication, survive a mirror reflection unaffected x,y,z->-x,-y,-
z (and most physics does, too, except for elementary particle, weak
force interactions, see http://lhcb-public.web.cern.ch/lhcb-public/
html/cpviolationtoc.htm), a pseudo-vector changes sign under mirror
reflection!  How do you get a pseudo-vector? you take a cross-
product, or curl.  So, VORTICITY is a PSEUDOVECTOR, and so is f.  The
problem is, the momentum and tracer equations are rotation and
reflection invariant, but this is only because there are doubled sign
reversals, i.e., the coriolis parameter should change sign but the
coriolis acceleration shouldn't!

So, there are very tricky reconstructions to make when you start
messing with mirror reflections, as some things should change sign
and others don't.  It is very easy to get messed up!  I would
recommend against running a model in such a way that you have to flip
the sign of some things and not others unless you are very confident
that you know the sign of everything that's supposed to come out.
You can really get messed up with potential vorticity and
streamfunctions, for example, where you will have to flip the sign of
not only f, but also curl v, etc.  You have to remember to use a
right-hand rule or a left-hand rule depending on whether you've
reflected or not.

Cheers, and good luck if you try!
    -Baylor