[MITgcm-support] initialization issue

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 14 12:00:07 EDT 2006

Hello again,

I have an initialization issue.  I give a hydrogThetaFile, and theta
is initialized.  This is done correctly (the numbers look good), and
no error is given in ini_theta (i.e. i do not receive:  'S/R
INI_THETA: theta = 0 identically. If this is intentional, you will
need to edit ini_theta.F to avoid this safety check').  The initial
dump (T.0000000000.data), however, has some zero patterns.  This is
true for salinity as well.  If I restart the model, but now giving
hydrogThetaFile=T.0000000000.data, I then get the ini_theta error
that theta=0 identically.

The pattern of zeros are bizarre.  There are 8 points in the first
row...all along a line of constant latitude.  The next 23 levels have
7 zero points in the latitude line.  The next level has 3 points,
then 2 points, then 1 point.  The bottom layers are fine.  The
latitude line changes...and the number of grid points from the
beginning of one line to the beginning of the next changes each time.

has anyone ever experienced behavior like this before?  Can anyone
think of a place/reason, why theta and salt would get set to zero
after initialization.

thanks,
matt