[MITgcm-support] OBCS settings

jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de
Sun Sep 10 21:09:10 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm getting some wierd edge effects in a model of the Ross Sea, and as they only appear when i open the East and West boundaries i presume i'm setting the boundaries wrong.  Could someone verify that the following is correct:

model domain:  nx=120; ny=81;   Southern edge is coastline;
objective:  open entire eastern and western boundaries, keep the northern boundary closed;

in data.obcs:
OB_Ieast = 81*-1,
OB_Iwest=81*1,
OB_Jnorth=120*0,

(and OBCS switched on in packages.conf etc etc - the boundaries are definitely being read in and are echoed into the mitgcmuv output file)

I've tried some variations on this with rather spectacular effects.. but they point to the above being what i want;  only the text in OBCS.h doesn't seem to say the same thing.. i'm a bit confused.

Many thanks for any assistance!
jill.