[MITgcm-support] KPP and KPP_ghatUseTotalDiffus

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Oct 27 02:38:26 EDT 2006

Hi David,
as far as I can see, the flag is used in kpp_transport_t/s/ptr where
the counter-gradient flux (or non-local term) of KPP is applied (the
second term in the following expression):
kappa1*dtracer/dz - kappa2*ghat*surfaceFlux

In pure KPP kappa1=kappa2, but GM has a vertical component of kappa
as well and I guess here you can decide whether this contribution is
included in kappa2 (it's part of kappa1) as well. I don't know the
reason/"physics" behind this.

Martin