[MITgcm-support] G95 build issue: f2c name mangling

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz
Mon Oct 9 00:32:14 EDT 2006

Thanks for your reply, Ed.

I agree that's irritating to have to go to so much trouble for a few
function calls that have no bearing on the results. Still, the time info
is moderately interesting.

I've discovered the reason for the inconsistency between g77 and g95
(the bit that was really bugging me). With the combination of
preprocessor symbols that applies on g77 and g95, the functions
system_time, user_time and timenow are declared but never called. G95
writes their names to the object file with the "U" (undefined) flag, but
g77 omits them. If I add a call to the system_time and user_time
functions, then g77 fails in the same way as g95. It's arguable which is
the more correct and user-friendly behaviour, but basically it's an
error in the code.

--
Mark Hadfield          "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)