[MITgcm-support] tendency of kinetic energy diagnostics

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 29 15:53:43 EST 2006

Hi XXXXX,
   What you will need to form energy budgets are terms from the
models' momentum and buoyancy equations.  Almost all of the terms in
those equations can be diagnosed just by using the diagnostics
package and changing data.diagnostics to save them in time-mean or
snapshots.  Once you've got the results of those equations, you can
just multiply together the terms to get the terms you want in the
energy equation.
   In fact, kinetic energy itself is one of those diagnostics, so if
you are really only interested in the rate of change of KE, you can
just dump KE at different snapshots and take differences.
   Or, if you can just run the model, you can calculate KE at every
point just like the model does (using matlab or whatever).  The
model's code for KE is given in

pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_ke.F

Roughly, the vector invariant form of the model uses

KE= 1/2( <U^2>_i+<V^2>_j)

Where angle brackets denote averaging in the horizontal in the i (x-
direction) and j so that U and V will be co-located in space.

If you are using the fluxform form of the model, you've got a little
more work to do, since the averaging is weighted by the areas of each
gridpoint.  In that case, go check out the code.

Good luck,
    -Baylor