[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 16 12:14:14 EST 2006

Hi there,

Eli, Hezi, and I are trying to set up a high resolution marginal sea
simulation (900m and 300m horizontal resolution), but for some reason
we cannot get rid off numerical noise unless we specify very high
diffusivities. I have carefully read the documentation on eddy
viscosities (Smagorinski and Leith) and Balor's posting about that:
http://forge.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2006-June/
004086.html
and a few other so after a while I am feeling comfortable that I
don't make any mistakes in specifying parameters for the Leith scheme
any more.

Now this:
the only way I can get a reasonably smooth simulation is with
advection scheme 2 with biharmonic diffusion of 1e6 (maybe 1e5) or
harmonic diffusion of 10. (yes simple central differences, 77, 3, 30,
33, 4 all give a lot of noise, even with extra diffusivity). An
example data file for the 900m resolution experiment is attached. I
have also tried harmonic viscosities/diffusivities and the problem is
the same. We see the same phenomema in the 300m resolution run (but
with lower viscosity/diffusivity, naturally), namely that the
"better" advection schemes 33,77,etc. produce noise. What am I missing?