[MITgcm-support] evaporation fields: supply or estimate?

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 10 13:45:44 EST 2006

Jill,

> Does anyone have an opinion/recommendation on whether it's better to supply
> reanalysis evaporation fields (along with precip/humid/wind etc etc), so that
>  the mitgcm ocean surface temperature is not consistent with the evaporation,
>  but the forcing fields are all consistent with each other, or to allow
> mitgcm to calculate the evaporation based on external humidity and insolation
> fields plus it's own ocean surface temperature?

has anyone replied to this.  I do the latter but have no evidence whether it is
better or worse than the former.

> Plus, if anyone else is using ERA-40 forcing data (specifically evaporation,
> precipitation and humidity 6 hourly fields) and has a 100% sure way of
> converting their 'metres of water accumulated over the period of the
> forecast' into metres/second, i'd be really grateful to hear how it's done-
> whatever i try i get values 1 or 2 orders of magnitude higher than the mitgcm
> exf_check_range expected ranges recommends.

I am attaching data.exf file that I used when I run with ERA40 and a read.me
file that describes source of data.  As far as I can tell no unit conversions
were required, except for change of sign for lwdown and swdown and a C to K
conversion for air temperature.

If helpful to you, I can make the input files that I used available on an ftp
server.

Cheers, Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology