[MITgcm-support] external forcing

Dmitri Leonov dleonov at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 8 14:28:04 EST 2006

Hi Baylor,

I've done some preliminary experiments with a curvilinear grid. I think
it ran on 1 processor so I didn't have to assemble the output but I
could view it using ncview. The 'coordinate' variables were lat and lon
along the 'eastern' and 'southern' boundaries of the domain and were not
even monotonic in my case but it didn't seem to cause too much of a
problem (yet?)
I was wondering about forcing such model with wind. I haven't tried it
yet. But since it's possible to turn off spatial interpolation I would
guess it should work.

Thanks,
Dmitri

Baylor Fox-Kemper wrote:
> Hi Dmitri,
>   You can use curvilinear coordinates, but netcdf (mnc) output will be
> strange since netcdf can't handle interesting coordinate variables.
> Some folks here at MIT have worked on an approximate post-run fix for
> this problem, so if you are planning on using mnc give a shout.
>   Cheers,
>     -Baylor
>
> On Nov 8, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Dmitri Leonov wrote:

Dmitri A. Leonov
Research Associate, Postdoctoral
University of Washington, School of Oceanography